HOME > ABOUT

History

Our Baptist roots date back four centuries, to a people seeking the opportunity to worship God as individual members of freely organized and freely functioning churches.

On the evening of February 2, 1928 revival meetings were started in the hall above the Butte County Bank of Belle Fourche with Reverend C.M. Foreman and Reverend W.E. Pruett sent by the South Dakota Baptist Convention and Home Mission Society, affiliated with the American Baptist Churches of the USA. As a result of these meetings it was decided to organize a Baptist Church in Belle Fourche. Accordingly on Sunday, February 6, 1928 the First Baptist Church of Belle Fourche was organized.

In the spring of 1928 the First Baptist Church purchased two lots and a house from C.R. Shann on the corner of Eighth Avenue and Harding Street. Construction of the church was begun immediately and the original wood frame church was dedicated on January 6, 1929. In 1955 the current brick church was completed. The educational building was added in 1972.